Monday 14 February 2011

Our hands - not that easy to make.


In the name of Allah.


It just came to me recently that Biochemistry is not that dull anymore.  Least in my expectation that I could actually learn about dakwah from it. Maybe it is His divine way to proof to me that study is a SMALL subset of dakwah. Yes, emphasis on the SMALL.

And so, I have to learn about Sonic Hedgehog Homologue, SHH for short. When this friend of mine, Iki asked me, "Why do you have to study such trifling matter?". You can guess that I answered, "I don't know. But hedgehogs are cute though!". LOL. Period.

Cute innit?

To put it simply, SHH are molecules that regulate loads of signaling pathways in vertebrates. Besides the mechanics which are too ridiculous to learn - some of which are still beyond our knowledge, if you don't have them, you might have your feet grow on your head, eyes on your knees. Yeah, we shall have everything out of place. Subhanallah! Ar-Rahman and Ar-Rahim. For if Allah is neither of them, nauzubillah, THAT is how humans are going to be like.

What intrigues me the most is, how our hand is developed while we were still in our mothers' wombs. SHH is responsible, not entirely though for this. With the help of Gli3 repressor and Gli1 activator, OK, spare the details. Bluergh, I'm not here to teach Molecular Cell Biology. With the parameters of time - how long SHH is expressed, concentration - the amount present, the presence of SHH - the absence of SHH makes our thumb and combinations of those three mentioned parameters make the development of our hands possible. Subhanallah!

The not-so-attractive diagram. :p

So, I told Iki about this and he relates this to these verses from the Holy Quran :

"Does man think that We cannot assemble his bones?  Nay, We are able to put together in perfect order, the very tip of his fingers." Al-Qiyamah [75:3-4]

Koyak! T.T

To top that :

"And We have certainly created for Hell many of the jinn and mankind. They have hearts with which they do not understand, they have eyes with which they do not see, and they have ears with which they do not hear. Those are like livestock; rather, they are more astray. It is they who are the heedless." Al-A'raf [7:179]

Another wake up call it is! Do you want to be like those who are mentioned in this verse? I know I don't.

Which one are you?

I'm taking this positively. Biochemistry is not just a subject anymore. It fortifies the verses in the Holy Quran. Just name a field, be it sciences or arts or whatever. If you see them through the perspective of Islam, with the guidance of Quran, Hadith and Sunnah, insyAllah, we have solid reasons to study them now. It's apart of our ubudiyah and a SMALL section of dakwah. :)

2 comments: